BUILDING MAINTENANCE UNITS
As per NYC Department of Buildings requirements, all new construction buildings over 20 stories are required to have a permanent Building Maintenance Unit (MBU) installed on the roof. BMU is designed as a system specifically for the building where it is installed and is a great access method for window cleaning for high rise buildings (25 stories and up).
ADVANTAGES OF BMU
- Once a BMU is installed, tested and certified, it is always ready for use.
- Pre-planned and controlled safety.
- Similar to aerial lifts, BMU is 100% legal anywhere in the USA.
- BMUs are the best for tall sky-scrapers (30-100 stories).
- Work crew familiarization by a BMU installer usually takes 1-2 days.
- BMU is designed so that it is able to reach all building façade surfaces.
THINGS TO CONSIDER
- High upfront investment is needed. BMU is highly technological equipment and is naturally expensive. Average unit and installation cost is $1-2 million.
- BMU must be inspected and re-certified every year, which costs $10,000-20,000.
- Mandatory cable replacement (used or unused) every 2 years. Cost $10,000-20,000.
- BMU breaks from time to time. Service call for inspection and repairs are quite expensive.
- Building owner and manager carries full liability for safety of work crew while working from BMU.